Fleury Pere et Fils

View all products from Fleury Pere et Fils

Fleury Pere et Fils is one of the only fully biodynamic houses in Champagne. Their dedication to the health of the soils and the vineyards is unparalleled, and this commitment shines through in the glass. While their main focus is Pinot Noir, they also produce some exciting wines with rarely used varieties, including Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris. The house of Fleury has proved that biodynamic farming can succeed in the extremely variable climate of Champagne, and that faithful adherence to these demanding principles is justified by the attainment of excellent vineyard health and extraordinary fruit.

43 Grand Rue, Courteron, Cote des Bar. +33 3 25 38 20 28

The Wines

The wines of Fleury show structure, weight and richness in each cuvee, which explains why these wines are so well suited to pairing with food. 

Fleury Blanc de Noirs

100% Pinot Noir from vines with an average age of 15-20 years. This wine was created in 1955 by Robert Fleury, Sebastien’s grandfather. A blend of several vintages, the reserve wines having been aged in 60hl foudres. Dosage is 5g/L.

Fleury Fleur de l’Europe

90% Pinot Noir, 10% Chardonnay from vines with an average age of 18-23 years. 25% of the reserve wines are from oak barrels, the remaining 75% from enameled tanks. Dosage is 5g/L.

Fleury Rose de Saignee

100% Pinot Noir from 20-year-old vines. The colour is achieved through a short period of whole bunch maceration, which is then followed by pressing on the Coquard press and fermentation in temperature controlled enameled tanks. Dosage is 7g/L.

Fleury Cepages Blancs

100% Chardonnay from 20-year-old vines. A vintage wine, 80% of the fermentation occurs in enamel tanks and the remaining 20% in oak barrels. Dosage is 5g/L. 

Fleury Cuvee Millesime

80% Pinot Noir, 20% Chardonnay  from 20-year-old vines. A vintage wine fermented in enamel tanks. This wine was produced as a ‘trilogie’ with three dosage levels: Extra Brut (5g/L), Brut (14g/L) and Doux (50g/L). 

Fleury Cuvee Robert Fleury

The 2004 vintage was 25% Pinot Noir, 30% Pinot Blanc, 30% Chardonnay and 15% Meunier. An unusual blend, with the addition of Pinot Blanc - one of the 7 permitted varieties in Champagne, but rarely used. Indigenous yeasts initiate fermentation, which takes place in oak barrels. Dosage is 8g/L.

Fleury Notes Blanches

100% Pinot Blanc. The character of the Pinot Blanc from the vineyard of Charme de Fin was exceptional, and the Fleury family decided it deserved to stand alone as the Notes Blanches cuvee. No dosage has been added to the wine in order to allow for a pure fruit expression.

Fleury Sonate N˚9

100% Pinot Noir from vines with an average age of 35 years. The wine was created in celebration of 20 years practicing biodynamic viticulture, and was named ‘Sonate’ as Sebastien’s wife is a musician. The wine was vinified in oak, and no sulfur was used. The pressure is a low 4 bars, instead of the typical 6 bars. Dosage is 4g/L.

Fleury Bolero

100% Pinot Noir. 25% of the blend is fermented in oak, the remainder in enameled tanks. Dosage is 5.5g/L.

Fleury Siecle d’Or

A blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay that varies with each production, but Pinot Noir always dominates slightly. Dosage is 3g/L.

History of the House

 

In Champagne in 1929, the Great Depression was looming and the financial situation was dire. Robert Fleury, a vigneron in the Cote des Bar, was selling his grapes, like his father before him had done since 1895, but prices had sunk to their lowest levels. So he decided to bottle his own wines in an effort to increase revenue. Thus the house of Fleury was born.

Robert’s son, Jean-Pierre, joined the family business in 1962, and he would become one of the pioneers of biodynamic viticulture in the Aube region. His interest in sustainable farming began in the 1970s when he started reading and studying the work of Rudolf Steiner, the founder of biodynamics. By 1989 Jean-Pierre was ready to try the practices for himself, and he began with just 3 hectares. He was obviously pleased with the results because by 1992 he had converted all of his vineyard holdings. These 15 hectares of certified biodynamic vineyards make Fleury the largest biodynamic producer in all of Champagne. In 1993, Jean-Pierre was honoured as the Gault-Millau Winemaker of the Year.

Jean-Pierre has instilled his passion for terroir and champagne in his three children - Benoit, Jean-Sebastien and Morgane. All of them are involved in various aspects of the business, with Jean-Sebastien taking the lead as winemaker. Jean-Sebastien’s first vintage with the assistance of his father was in 2004. Since 2009, he has been solely in charge of winemaking.

In 2011, Fleury Pere et Fils were the proud recipients of the Biodynamics Trophy from the International Wine Challenge.

Vineyards and Winemaking

The Fleury vineyards are located in the village of Courteron in the Cote des Bar, mainly on hillside slopes of Kimmeridgian chalky clay.  Pinot Noir is their main variety, but they also have a small amount of Chardonnay and Meunier, and even smaller portions of Pinot Blanc and Pinot Gris.  The Pinot Gris vines were grafted from cuttings that Jean-Sebastien brought back from a biodynamic producer in Alsace. He chose to graft them according to English methods, rather than the popular Omega graft, to improve resistance to disease. 

In addition to their own vineyards, they also buy a proportion of grapes from their neighbours who also practice biodynamic farming. 

In the winery, the grapes are pressed with a traditional Coquard press to retain freshness and varietal character. Approximately 10% of their total production is fermented in oak and the exact amount varies for each cuvee. Since 2004 they have been using their own biodynamic yeasts to initiate fermentation.